The purpose of bronze is to begin learning skills needed to function on a swim team independently, refine Freestyle and Backstroke, and begin learning parts of Breaststroke and Butterfly.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Otter.
- Breaststroke Kick- 50yds
- Dolphin Kick- 50yds
- Freestyle Streamline
- Backstroke Streamline
- Flip turn- Freestyle attempted 50% of time
- Flip turn- Backstroke, beginning, attempted 25% of time
- Can read and follow workout without help
- Begin using pace clock for rest period
- Ends swim with looking at pace clock
The purpose of Silver is to learn more advanced skills needed to work on a swim team independently, increase distances in Freestyle and Backstroke, and refine Breaststroke and Butterfly.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of BDSS Bronze Level or pass Bronze evaluation.
- Freestyle- 300yds
- Breaststroke- 50yds
- Butterfly- 25yds
- Flip Turn- Freestyle 75% of time
- Flip Turn- Backstroke 50% of time
- Breaststroke Underwater Pull-Out- 50% of time
- Butterfly Start- 50% of time
- Open Turns- Breaststroke and Butterfly
- Uses pace clock to track rest during workout
- Uses pace clock to track simple paces (x:00, x45, x:30, x:15 intervals)
The purpose of Gold level is to master all skills needed to work on a swim team independently and master all strokes at various distances. All strokes must be legal.
Prerequisite: Successfully complete BDSS Silver level or pass Silver evaluation.
- Freestyle- 500yds
- Freestyle- Starts, Turns, and Finish, 100%
- Backstroke- Starts, Turns, and Finish, 100%
- Breaststroke- 100yds
- Breaststroke- Starts, Turns, and Finish, 100%
- Butterfly- 50yds
- Butterfly- Starts, Turns, and Finish, 100%
- Can follow workout given on any pace